Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Review of 4/13 TNA From Bella Online

Ok, I was asked to watch TNA with my undivided attention and report back. Here is me findings.

I would first like to state I missed the start of the opening match on account of I forgot Spike TV is three hours behind the Pacific Time Zone because I have a satellite. SO I MISSED THE NEXT ULTIMATE FIGHTER, AND I AM...OH I'M MAD!

I tuned into Samoa Joe kicking the living daylights out of Christopher Danials. I am a big Danials fan (well, I just started following him lately, so I don't have longevity yet), and it was disheartening to see Samoa Joe running roughshod over him. I would call it a squash match except that Danials did get in a little offense, and the match was longer then the typical 2 minutes that squashees usually last. Samoa Joe ended the match with some funky move from the top rope, driving Danials into the mat on his upper shoulder-mid back region, very impressive. Oh, Samoa Joe won the X-Division title.

Next Americas Most Wanted faced off against Team Three D in a street fight that hardly left the ring. But it was a fairly good match with action going back and forth, it ended when Spyke Dudley staged a run in and interfered on 3-D's behalf. I thought street fights were no DQ?

Then I saw Sting call out Jeff Jarrett, which Double JJ accepted, but by sending some young chap by the name of "Showtime" Eric Young to wrestle in his place. I didn't think TNA would waste a Sting/Jarrett match on national TV, but it was the first time Sting wrestled a televised, none PPV match in 5 years, according to the announcers. This match saw a ton of interference by team Canada, and Sting won it with the Scorpian Death Drop, in inverted DDT. After the match Jarretts team jumped Sting in the Ring, which resulted in Rhino, The Phenomenal AJ Styles and who used to be K-Quick in WWE (I forget what they called him)coming to Stings aid. Sting then get's on the house mic and calls Jarretts team kiddies and that he, and his new team (Rhino, Styles and K-whoever the heck he is)will see them in the cage at lockdown.

I still don't like the ring. I saw a couple of times where wrestlers had to adjust themselves in midstride in order to hit the turnbuckles, which made the throw look totally implausible. As far as the action goes, it was great, except there was only three matches. Sting looked a bit rusty, but he is not used to wrestling day in and day out, so he undoubtedly has a ton of ring rust. I love the young guys, the future of wrestling looks bright. I don't know about Samoa Joe though, I understand a lot of people like him, but I just can't buy him as some super strong freak like they seem to be pushing him. He looks to be better suited for a hot dog eating contest, and I know that's not politically correct to say, but that's how I would describe him.

Overall I enjoyed the show. They need to expand the show by another hour, do a little less talking and get in an extra match or two.

**** out of ***** stars.

And that, as they say, is that from the Great One

~Chris

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too missed the beginning of TNA for some reason. I was only a minute or so late but by the time, Daniels was already "busted wide open." It did seem like a glorified squash now that I think about it, but that's why I think it was a good match, I didn't think it was a squash while watching it. Joe had to do a lot to Daniels to get the pin and it made Daniels look strong yet weak. I don't understand why Joe has the title now that they're trying to push him in the heavyweight scene. Possibly because of the whole mess with Jushin Liger.

The AMW/Team 3D match was good for what I thought it would be (lots of garbage wrestling) and the run-in by little Spike Dudley had me surprised (I don't read TNA spoilers) although upset. If he stays something of a manager to 3D ala Gayda or Gail Kim, it won't be as bad, but what's the point of signing him? Oh yeah, they lost Shannon Moore. Gotta bring in another bad wrestler, I guess.

Having Sting in a squash match was good for making him look good before the PPV and having him go up against Eric Young is the best part about it. He bounced around the ring and made Sting look as good as he did back in the late 90s.

AJ Styles, Rhino, and Ron Killings coming to Sting's aide was quite obvious and even after the fact, we didn't need to be told that they were going to help him at Lockdown. Duh.

Oh, and Ron Killings (or the Truth, as they like to call him) has the best nickname in wrestling: The Sun-Tanned Superman.

In the end, I thought it was a good show. Only 3 matches but 3 matches that pushed the storylines along and helped to sell Lockdown as a ppv that may be good.

Also, no silly James Gang.

Thu Apr 13, 11:57:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2005/2009 The Making Of A Wrestling GOD. All Rights Reserved.