Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Looking, Looking...There You Are, Cameron Star


The last time I was at wrestling school (seems like ages ago as I write this) I was fortunate enough to run into Mr Cameron Star. Now I have seen some of Camerons work, mostly from the WAPW show that was put on last April, and I do have to admit that for a pudgy kid, he did pretty good. Nothing against pudge, I fight that demon everyday myself. However, he was moving around, taking and giving armdrags, and landing rather lightly and doing an overall good job. His highspot even consisted of him ascending to the top rope and doing a backflip into a splash. For those of you who would like to see Cameron at work, click this link VIDEO SAMPLE. Anyway, seeing is believing in most cases, until you meet the man himself.
They say the first impression that one makes is the most important one. That is it is awfully hard to change ones perception of yourself, even if the impression someone got off of you is way, way off. When I first saw Cameron, he showed up to the school rather late and just hung around chatting with Colonel DeBeers and Buddy Rose, whilst I was in the ring working on something or other. Halfway during class I tagged out and decided to get a drink at the desk where Buddy was sitting through, with a rather pained expression, something Mr Star was saying. When I am not wrestling, I like to listen to anything Colonel or Buddy has to say, I try to glean off even the slightest pearl of wisdom they may have to offer. However, as I was saying, Cameron was talking. And Talking. And TALKING! My goodness, it wouldn't have been so bad if the kid had something to say! As I remember he was talking about his training regimen, and how it mirrors the Iron Shiek, or some danged thing. The Iron Shiek was known for swinging the Persian Clubs, from what I understand a very hard and gut wrenching training routine. However Cameron, from what I got from the conversation, billed from Hawaii, swings the five gallon water jugs and climbing trees with bare feet to grab the coconuts. I remember sitting there thinking "he must be kidding, right?" Well, I quickly found out he is quite the character. He went into this one story where hewas wrestling someone, and the action spilled out of the ring. He had grabbed one of his water jugs (he carries them to the ring), and proceeds to wind back to deliver a KO blow to his opponent. Well, from what I heard, his opponent ducked while Cameron was in mid swing, and he ended up clocking some poor older lady that was sitting in the stands directly behind them. Cameron said she kind of slumped over with her head down, then, while unconscious, slid ever so gracefully off of her seat and onto the floor. The cardinal rule when you are wrestling is that "THE SHOW MUST GO ON!" If you happen to get injured during a match, grit your teeth and carry on, you have a match to finish. If some fan decides to participate in the festivities and jump in the ring, you drop him, and carry on. If the referee happens to have a heart attack in the middle of your match, what do you do? That's right, carry on. If you clock some old lady who is behind the barricade minding her own business you...Stop the match and see if she is ok, and hope to hecdk she don't sue! I guess you had to have been there, but it was funny to hear him tell it.
So, for those of you who are keeping score, I got off a somewhat so-so impression when I first met Cameron. That impression gave way to a not very good one as I heard him talk forever about absolutely nothing, but immediately went to "Hey, I like this guy!" when I heard of the old lady getting knocked the hell out by his wayward water jug. Oh, but guess what he say's next that puts him back down a peg or two with me? As I sit there he asks who the hell I am, Buddy Rose tells him. Buddy says that I am relatively new, but doing very good. At which point Cameron says, to no one in particular, "I don't wrestle anyone who I haven't seen wrestle for at least six months." Now, I can understand, to a point, why a wrestler might not be so wild about wrestling someone new to the sport. It is very dangerous to do what we do, and when we put our bodies in the hands of someone else, one bad mistake can end your career. Or your life for that matter. However taking that "idiotoligy" into consideration, how in the world would any wrestler get his start? The Undertaker, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mick Foley and any other respected superstar had to start sometime. They all had to wrestle a first match. I don't know, maybe I am just over sensitive. Or maybe I just think it's ludicrous that some punk kid who isn't known anywhere outside of the greater Portland, OR area comes in acting like he is a world class superstar, and has anything on the likes of 'Taker, Stone Cold Or Mrs' Foley's baby boy. So, Cameron, I can't wait to tie up with you. I give to you an open challenge, any time, any place any where, as long as there is a paying crowd and concessions!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2005/2009 The Making Of A Wrestling GOD. All Rights Reserved.